Sweet N' Heat Chicken Wings
Updated: Feb 19, 2022
As a west African child, I grew up with listening to my parent’s stories of how they only ate chicken once a year, during Christmas, as a special feast. It was for this reason that chicken became a staple in our household, however, the chicken I grew up on was fowl, also known as strong chicken. It wasn’t until we were a little older that my mom began preparing soft chicken recipes such as peanut butter chicken and baked barbeque chicken. Every time she made one of her famous chicken dishes, not a single bone remained uncleaned.
I remember the first time I had chicken wings as a child at a family barbeque. One bite was all it took to captivate my heart. As the years have gone on, I have grown to love every type of chicken wing. They are legitimately an international love language! Whether grilled, fried, cooked in a stew, where there are wings, the people will gather! Neatta’s Sweet n’ Heat was created with the wing in mind, in 2020 while creating a meal for my family. Since then, Sweet N’ Heat wings have become a family gathering staple, especially when served with love.
8 whole chicken wings (or 16 drums & flats)
Lemon juice & vinegar to clean chicken
1 tbs Onion powder
1 tbs Chicken bouillon
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp Smoked paprika
1 tsp Black pepper
1 tbs Garlic powder
1 packet Sazon con Culantro Y Achiote (Optional)
1 dash Sea salt
48 oz Vegetable oil
1 tbs Olive oil (Optional)
16 oz Neatta’s Sweet n’ Heat BBQ Sauce
• Remove chicken wings from package.
• If using whole chicken wings, use a butcher knife to cut off the wing tip and
separate the drum from the flat.
• Rinse chicken in a bowl with water and 1 tbs lemon juice and 1 tbs vinegar. Rinse
well until the grittiness of the chicken is removed.
• Using a colander, strain chicken, then pat dry using a dry paper towel.
• In a mixing bowl add:
o 1 tbs onion powder
o 1 tbs chicken bouillon
o 1 tsp cayenne pepper
o 1 tsp smoked paprika
o 1 tsp black pepper
o 1 tbs garlic powder
o 1 dash of sea salt
o 1 packet sazón con cilantro y achiote
o 1 tbs vegetable oíl
• Mix well until ingredients are evenly distributed, then allow to marinate for 5-10
• Place large black iron cast skillet or medium dutch oven pot on medium high heat
• Add vegetable oil until oil is about 3/4 inch from the rim (skillet) or 2 inches from
the rim if using a dutch oven.
• Allow oil to heat up for about 10 - 15 minutes or until 325 degrees F
• Place wings into the pan (8 pieces at a time).
• Fry well on each side for 10 minutes (15 minutes per side for crispier wings)
• Remove wings from the pan after 20 – 30 minutes once golden brown.
• Place cooked wings on a wire rack, allowing oil to strain into a drip pan.
• Repeat with the remaining wings.
Where the Magic Happens
• Once all wings are prepared and strained, place in mixing bowl and pour desired
amount of Neatta’s Sweet n’ Heat BBQ sauce on the wings, then mix well.
• Place wings on a platter and garnish with herb of choice.
• Serve with love!